April: Earth Appreciation
Often what helps the environment can also benefit your own health. Here are a few ideas for activities or initiatives to inspire small changes this month:
- Walk, bike or use public transit
- Set up a community garden
- Swap recipes with family, friends, co-workers, etc. and use local ingredients to make a new meal
- Plan an adventurous walk/hike
- Organize a tree-planting day
- Celebrate Earth Day on April 22
- Check out ReThink Red Deer:
March: Nutrition Month
March is Nutrition Month! This year the Alberta Health Services theme is Find answers at healthyeatingstartshere.ca. Dietitians at Alberta Health Services have compiled the most requested information from healthyeatingstarts.ca which is:
- best buys for healthy eating
- ways to eat more vegetables and fruit
- how to make healthy meals and meal ideas
- how to choose healthy drinks
February: Happy, Healthy Hearts
Every year, the Heart and Stroke Foundation hosts February's Heart Month as a national, community-based fundraising campaign to raise awareness for heart disease and stroke. Knowing heart disease can be prevented by maintaining good physical and mental health, this month's theme is focused on matters of the heart: self-love and compassion. Positive mental health, along with a sense of self-worth, can greatly impact our physical health.
Click here to open the Heart Healthy Eating Guide by Alberta Health Services.
January: Physical Literacy
Physical literacy is defined as "the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding to value and take responsibility for engagement in physical activities for life."
Ideas for embracing diversity in the workplace
- Learn about the cultural backgrounds, lives and interests of employees outside of the workplace. Building relationships through increased understanding and trust helps to foster inclusion
- Include opportunities for staff to interact in settings outside of work so that employees feel more comfortable. Be creative, flexible and look for new ways of doing things
- Ensure all employees have the opportunity to take part in decision-making and planning for social activities
- Organize collective meals where employees can learn about one another's cultures by sharing food
November: Diabetes Awareness
It's estimated that 90 per cent of people with diabetes have Type 2 diabetes and approximately 1 million Canadians live with undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes. Challenge yourself this month to take the online Canadian Diabetes Risk questionnaire to determine your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and prediabetes.
All Canadians are urged to check their risk during Diabetes Awareness Month.
October: Healthy Workplaces
A healthy workplace helps foster and support good health and an overall healthy lifestyle for all employees. This month, we are encouraged to create an open, welcoming and inclusive workplace for employees to consider healthy food choices, physical activity and energy balance. Check out the following links for more information:
- Canada's Healthy Workplace Month
- Healthy Workplace Activity Ideas (tips on healthy lifestyles, hygiene wellness, health and safety, mental health awareness, healthy body - healthy mind, stress management, eat well - stay well, be well - be active, volunteerism/CSR, play at work, giving back)
- Healthy Eating Challenge (all the documents you need to start a healthy workplace eating challenge)
September: Beginning with Breakfast
Alberta Health Services wishes to remind us that breakfast is an important meal to start the day. Eating breakfast helps your child to be more alert during the school day. In fact, kids who eat breakfast are more likely to do well in school and have a healthy body weight.
Discover ways to help make breakfast easy: