French Immersion well-established in our schools
Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools takes pride in its well-established French Immersion program. All subjects are taught in French with the exception of English Language Arts (starting in Grade 3) and Religion.
French Immersion is an educational approach intended to teach students to understand and communicate in French by teaching them most of their school subjects in French.
French Immersion is primarily for students who have a desire to learn French and whose family is not French speaking. Instructional strategies and materials are designed with this in mind. The hope is to create a program that enables the children to:
- Become bilingual
- Understand, speak, read and write in French
- Achieve as well academically as their non-Immersion peers
- Retain, maintain and improve their competencies in their native language, English
- Appreciate the traditions and culture of both French and English speaking Canadians
Instruction in the Immersion classroom focuses on:
- Teaching curriculum content
- Responding to the child’s educational interests and needs
- Creating an atmosphere in which second language development is nurtured and encouraged
- Facilitating meaningful communication in French
Please note the language of communication between home and school is English.
Our French Immersion Schools
French Immersion is offered in four of our schools:
École Camille J. Lerouge School (fully French Immersion)
Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 9, Red Deer
École Mother Teresa School
Grade 3 to Grade 9, Sylvan Lake
École Our Lady of the Rosary School
Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 2, Sylvan Lake
École Secondaire Notre Dame High School
Grade 10 to 12, Red Deer
Why French? Why not!
Considering French for your child?
More and more parents are realizing that learning a second language is a benefit for many children. It will prepare their children for the challenges of an increasingly interdependent world.
Learning a second language can:
- Improve your child’s learning and listening skills
- Increase cognitive abilities, creating “outside of the box” thinkers
- Encourage your child to think critically and creatively
- Make learning another language much easier
Consider the many advantages that knowing a second language can provide your child with:
- Rich learning experience
- Increased educational and career opportunities
- A strong understanding of different perspectives, cultures and people
- A openness to new situations and experiences
French is also one of the easier languages for English speakers to learn because of the similarities in alphabets, sentence structure and many words.
French Immersion benefits all children
French Immersion is open to everyone. There are no entrance requirements.
There are many benefits to being enrolled in the French Immersion program, such as:
- Being fluent in a second language (French)
- Having a greater understanding on the mechanics of a language
- Learning about a new culture
French beyond High School
When immersion students graduate from high school, they should have reached a level of proficiency that allows them to enjoy the benefits of bilingualism. But what is there to do in French beyond high school.
Consider further studies in French:
- All Alberta universities offer French courses such as literature and linguistics. Some offer a year in France!
- The University of Alberta's Campus Saint-Jean offers Canada’s only bilingual commerce program.
- Campus Saint-Jean offers a unique bilingual environment and French language instruction in Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) and Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) programs, as well as Master and diplomas programs in Education. First year engineering students can also study at the Campus.
- NAIT offers a full-time bilingual business administration program and evening courses in business communications and marketing.
- The University of Calgary offers a variety of undergraduate course taught in French as well as a Certificat d’etudes francaises.
- Alberta Learning offers scholarships to students with high academic standings to pursue post secondary studies in French.
French Immersion in our classrooms